31 F Delta County Airport Station | Report. Choose your favorite sister bay designs and purchase them as wall art, home decor, phone cases, tote bags, and more! In 2001, construction began on a new Sister Bay Library that is six times the size of the old one, which stood in the park next to the current post office. Door County is in the Central time zone (GMT -6). Around 1900, Ole Erickson’s Store opened on land just north of today’s village hall. At that time the village of Sister Bay was part of the Township of Liberty Grove, which was founded in 1859. The intense heat from the three buildings that were now burning caused the porch of the Henry Fleck hotel to catch at this time, and the heat was so great on the side exposed that nothing could be done to save the large and magnificent building. Village of Sister Bay April 6, 2021 NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that at an election to be held in the Village of Sister Bay, on Tuesday, April 6, 2021, the following offices are to be elected to succeed the present incumbents listed. In 1960, it was sold to Grace and Richard Wilke who turned it into Wilke Furniture–and also sold the first television set. In 1972, the village took over the former Bank of Sturgeon Bay building (later BayLake Bank) and used it for its administrative offices and for village meetings. miles and a water area of 1 sq. Shop for sister bay art from the world's greatest living artists. It was rebuilt, and in 1920 sold to William Bunda. At that time the village of Sister Bay was part of the Township of Liberty Grove, which was founded in 1859. In 1960, a building formerly known as the Penguin Drive-In was moved to the current location one mile south of the junction of highways 42 and 57 by Willard and Clarrisa Kramer and renamed Pat-I-O Drive-In. Mr. Bunda saved some books but in the excitement of the moment, got hold of some worthless papers instead of those in which the accounts were kept. The hotel of Henry Pleck was vacant except for Emil Becker who was in charge of looking after the place. pound master for strange-cattle. The store building to the south, owned and occupied by Frank Bunda, was next to catch fire in spite of the efforts of those assembled to stay the progress of the flames, and was soon a seething mass of fire. President W. T. Smith is to see M. Jischke or Matt Roeser to be. In the early 1900s, John A. Pahl purchased a home from Alfred Sorenson which still stands, behind On Deck Clothing on Maple. It also maintained the docks on both sides of the harbor and the wood supply was plentiful. Al died in June, 2010, and the business is now being run by Al’s children, Lars, Rolf and Annika. Birchwood Hall - Summer, 1914, by Barbara Larsen This tour is slightly shorter than our other tours at a great price point. 1.4K likes. The roof and porch caught fire in several places but were easily extinguished. The Board of the Sister Bay Historical Society hopes you are safe and well. Thanks to the committed support of our membership, the SBHS is recognizing its 25th Anniversary this year. The early settlers families are very memorable today, as some of their descendants are in the third and fourth generation of inhabitants in the area. Fees of $14.00 were paid by Henry Graass. The Carroll House, which still serves fine food, opened in 1957 by Leonore Logerquist Carroll and her husband Norman, on highway 42 on Frank Logerquist’s original homestead. 10am - 3pm DAILY, Marina Office will be closd for the season starting 10/17/2020, 10733 N. Bay Shore Drive – Sister Bay, WI 54234. Magnette; Clerk—Adolph Roeser; Constables— Matt Roeser, Martin Jischke; Justice—John A. Pahl. Sister Bay Motors was founded by Ernest Isaacson in 1919 as a sub-dealer for Ford Motor Co. Now, it’s Marston M. Anderson Masonry, still going strong. Around the World in 11 Years: Jake Kodanko’s life on land and sea. Mrs. Wenzel Bunda operated the store, along with the post office, until the fire of 1912. It is now Yacht Works, and owned by Russ Forkert. When the hotel had got a good start, the general store of Mrs. Wenzel Bunda, across from the Frank Bunda corner, caught so rapidly that no time was had to remove a thing from the place except the mail and valuables in the post office, which was also housed in this building. The mission of the Sister Bay Historical Society is to encourage, foster and participate in the documentation, preservation, renovation and dissemination of historical information, artifacts and sites in the Sister Bay Area. The fact that a large tree stands in front of this place also helped to save it as much of the burning embers were stopped by its branches. Sister Bay has been a dining destination ever since a local character put a goat on a roof 50 years ago, but an influx of new chefs and restaurants has made Northern Door’s largest village the place for … 1.4K likes. The new library sits adjacent to what was the fire hall, but which is now used as a village maintenance building. Hundreds of people visited the scene of the conflagration the day following, coming from all parts of the county. Truly an original Door County landmark, The Liberty Lodge at Sister Bay was founded in 1898 by Abraham and Christina Carlson. Then too, the grasshoppers seemed to appear out of nowhere and after destroying everything in sight, disappeared again. Zillow has 70 homes for sale in Sister Bay WI. From old, hot rods to modern-day vehicles, you can trust our knowledgeable mechanics to get the repair job … T. Smith; Trustees—Ole Erickson, F. Bunda, C. Kellstrom, Ed Koessl Sr., Otto Waller, Frank Jischke; Treasurer—Chas. “The village was practically destroyed by fire about midnight. Or contact the Sister Bay Historical Society: 920-854-7680 or visit www.sisterbayhistory.org. On May 14 1912 Frank Logerquist was: made Assessor. In 1930, Emma Husby bought a tar-paper covered building with no running water, electricity or second floor. Get Door County news and events delivered to you daily! For sharing information. View listing photos, review sales history, and use our detailed real estate filters to find the perfect place. #5 of 17 Shopping in Sister Bay. The fire in the village took place in 1912 and destroyed six buildings. It is now owned by state Rep. Gary Bies. It is currently owned by Earl Willems’ children. A terrific gale was blowing from the north and the flames spread rapidly. It is now owned by Dave and Sue Daubner. She and her husband opened a restaurant where all the cooking was done on a wood stove. Sister Bay History. In the early 1900’s the town of Liberty Grove had voted by local option to be dry. The fire practically wiped out the business part of the village, which is now without a general store or hotel. The primary coordinate point for Sister Bay is located at latitude 45.1872 and longitude -87.1209 in Door County.The formal boundaries for the Village of Sister Bay encompass a land area of 2.58 sq. The new building was called Jungwirth Hardware, and this was its second location–the first being across the street where Drink Coffee is now. The former Joan Veith, great granddaughter of the Andre Roesers. The dance hall was torn down in 1958. These early guests typically stayed for weeks, enjoying the pleasures of the Door Peninsula. The Lodge served as a welcome destination for steamboat passengers sailing Green Bay waters from Chicago. At that time the village of Sister Bay was part of the Township of Liberty Grove, which was founded in 1859. That old building was torn down as part of the waterfront reclamation project. As the northern part of the county grew, other settlements rose and fell. These early guests typically stayed for weeks, enjoying the pleasures of the Door Peninsula. Eagle Bluff & Horseshoe Island Excursion. It has come a long way since those first settlers of Ingebrett Torgerson and the Dimond brothers, Thomas and Pat. The history of Sister Bay has been a growing one since the first settlers immigrated here in 1857. In 1950 the business became Gilbert Anderson and Son. The building’s last use was as Al Johnson’s Butik, which has been bought by the village and torn down to make way for an expanded public waterfront. Al Johnson opened Al Johnson’s Swedish Restaurant in 1948, and it has been remodeled and expanded more than once since that time. In 1928, Clarence Brod began a garage and filling station on what is now Bay Shore Drive. The mission of the Sister Bay Historical Society is to encourage, foster and participate in the documentation, preservation, renovation and dissemination of historical information, artifacts and sites in the Sister Bay Area. The first village officers were elected April 23, 1912. Saw a line forming while passing the docks in Sister Bay. An iconic Door County watering hole, Husby’s Food & Spirits of downtown Sister Bay, is a popular gathering place for friends and families. Thank you for reporting this station. It is worth far more than the price of admission ($5) and we were able to add a donation-which you can drop at various collection points. In 1926, Gilbert Anderson began doing Masonry work with Sam Erickson, and six years later was operating on his own. Manage Favorite Cities; Log in | Join The current home has a porch. Sister Bay Historical Society, Sister Bay, Wisconsin. Behind the store was a blacksmith shop. miles. 10733 N. Bay Shore Drive – Sister Bay, WI 54234 | P: 920-854-4457 | Latitude: 45° 11' 38" | Longitude: -87° 7' 6" | Radio Channel 9, (taken from a booklet published for Sister Bay’s Golden Jubilee in 1962). Some great, detailed Sister Bay history for everyone leading into a busy holiday weekend. For sharing information. Thank you for reporting this station. President—W. Sister Bay, WI Weather History star_ratehome. Sister Bay continued to progress to its present status of an incorporated village with 1960 census citing a population of 520. View fullsize. Report Station. We have reviews of the best places to see in Sister Bay… “The shop has a wide selection of … Anchor Sam’s Yacht Harbor, just outside Sister Bay, opened in 1956. The store of J. The implement warehouse of the J. C. Dana Co. was saved because of its being covered with iron. The property displays authentic, historically-restored farm buildings from the Sister Bay area and include a barn, granary, machine shop, log cabins, migrant’s cabin, summer kitchen, sawmill, blacksmith’s barn, and early tourist cottages. Sister Bay History. The business had begun in the Roeser homestead on Maple, and was moved to the corner of today’s Maple and Bay Shore Drive. It was moved to the main highway and was destroyed by fire under the name of Pete’s Pizza in December 1961. Birchwood Hall - Summer, 1914, by Barbara Larsen Summer tourists stopping at Fish Creek and Ephraim were numerous and many took Kodak pictures of the ruins which were smoldering all the day after. Sister Bay Legion Post 527 Named for Billy Weiss. (The buildings were the Lerner store, on the property now housing the Leonard Swenson service station [Henderson Park – where the military memorial is]; Frank Bunda store, the corner which Husby’s Food & Spirits now occupy; the Klondike, an empty saloon, owned by Frank Smith located about where the Hagedorn Studio is now [currently Drink Coffee building]; the hotel owned by Henry Pleck, located on the corner where the Sister Bay Bowl is; Wenzel Bunda store, the site now occupied by the Bunda department store [On Deck Clothing Co.]; and the residence owned by Andrew Roeser which was occupied by the Lerner family, located where the men’s department of Bunda’s is now housed [On Deck Clothing Co.].). Get Door County news and events delivered to you daily! Tea Thyme in Door County. The sunset at Fred & Fuzzy's. Sister Bay Automotive is a family-owned and operated business. Village of Sister Bay 2383 Maple Drive P.O. The peninsula is steeped in the stories of the first people to arrive here, including Native Americans and European settlers who fell in love with the beauty and natural bounty of the county.. gps_fixedFind Nearest Station . The accounting of it follows. Zillow has 70 homes for sale in Sister Bay WI. Masterfreeze eventually folded in the early 1960s shortly after it was bought by the Armstrong Corp., and the Walkway Shops went in. This story about the Roeser family was done by Mrs. James Champeau. Jungwirth Ace Hardware is now owned by Roger Jungwirth, grandson of Joseph Jungwirth who purchased the lot in 1946 from Leonard Swenson. Door County has a rich history on water and land. The Lodge served as a welcome destination for steamboat passengers sailing Green Bay waters from Chicago. The alarm was immediately spread. It is now On Deck Clothing, owned by Mitch Larson. Not a solitary thing was saved from any of the places burned, everyone being so intent on saving their own property or stopping the fire, that no thought was given to removing contents of the stores. miles and a water area of 1 sq. Truly an original Door County landmark, The Liberty Lodge at Sister Bay was founded in 1898 by Abraham and Christina Carlson. Sister Bay, WI Weather History star_ratehome. Today it is Sister Bay Motors, owned by Kenny and Candy Church. The primary coordinate point for Sister Bay is located at latitude 45.1872 and longitude -87.1209 in Door County.The formal boundaries for the Village of Sister Bay encompass a land area of 2.58 sq. As the northern part of the county grew, other settlements rose and fell.